For the first few decades New Hampshire was a state, it didn’t have a state capital. Instead, the state government moved between several towns, including Portsmouth, Exeter, Dover, and Hopkinton. Finally, around 1810, the state government decided to settle in Concord, which was in the center of the state geographically and had a good road system, making it easy for people to travel to and from the new capital. In 1816, the state government ordered the construction of a building where they could conduct their business. It would be called the State House, and when it was finished in 1819, it was the largest building in the state. Made out of Concord granite, the State House would become the political center of the state, and it would also become a place that celebrated all the important people in New Hampshire’s history with statues and portraits.